Saturday, March 12, 2016

Gene "Blackbeard" Wheeler Memorial Ride

Well, after a week of ugly weather it was time to get back on the bike. I would have much rather gone on a ride with other things on my mind, however this time it was to honor Gene "Blackbeard" Wheeler. Gene was one of the founding members of the Texas Road Rats Scooter Club. I had the honor of meeting him almost 2 years ago, at the time I was still riding my Honda Forza Scooter. Gene was a great guy, and unfortunately, he suffered a sudden heart attack on March 5th, and as a result, passed away.


Steve Brown, one of the other co-founders of the Texas Road Rats has been in communication with Gene's family and mentioned that he had written in his will that he wanted his scooter riding friends to celebrate his life by having a meal at his favorite restaurant, The Olive Garden. I met with several of my scooter riding friends on the North Side of San Antonio, we then rode as a group to one of the places that Gene would often meet our group, near New Braunfels. Steve led us on a beautiful ride on River Road(along the banks of the Guadalupe River), and we had lunch at Gene's favorite restaurant in New Braunfels.

After lunch, I decided to make a stop at Woods Cycle Country, and purchased a new Bluetooth Camera headset. I'll post some video soon. I wish I had the camera for todays ride.
It was a beautiful day, honoring one of our good friends.

Rest in Peace Gene, you will be missed by many.

Total Miles:
Gene Wheeler on his Honda 'Big' Ruckus

No comments:

Post a Comment

c5fc4d7afb5a2d754f065e11d9af51e85be0912c3427721d67